The Not So Obvious Risks of Car and Truck Wrecks (Even Minor Ones)
Car and truck wrecks are unpredictable in cases where there is no intentional action on the part of any driver involved. However, there are risk factors that are associated with automobile accidents that, if avoided, can be supportive of safer driving efforts on the road. Among the most common are:
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Distracted driving
- Disobeying traffic signs
Although this is not an exhaustive listing of car accident risk factors, these are among the top ten risk factors that are most commonly associated with reported crashes of every type in national statistics. There are; however, less obvious risk factors that drivers should also be mindful of while on the road. These include, but are not limited to:
- Driving an overweight vehicle – Many are not aware of the impact that excess weight has on the operation of any vehicle. Like large commercial trucks, passenger vehicles are equipped to operate within the bounds of a specific weight capacity as well, and excess passenger or object weight can lead to risks of malfunctioning.
- Driving with multiple people in the car – Multiple passengers in one vehicle can be distracting and increase the risk of being involved in an accident.
- Driving in heavy rain or on wet road surfaces – Wet road surfaces can pose road travel risks as well. Most vehicles are not equipped with all-terrain tires, and standard tires do not always operate effectively when roads are slippery from rain, ice, or a major road spill.
- Defects in car design – Automakers sometimes make major mistakes in the design and manufacturing of vehicles, leading to significant injuries from defects. This issue has been at the root of a number of accidents over time, forcing the recall of many defective vehicles.
- Loose objects in a vehicle – It’s not uncommon for individuals to have spare change, mobile phones, electronic devices, and other loose objects somewhere in their vehicle; however, this becomes risky when those objects are placed in areas where any sudden movement can send them flying in the car, leading to drivers becoming distracted or suddenly alarmed.
According to the Dallas accident injury lawyers of Witherite Law Group, recognizing the range of potential threats to one’s safe driving efforts is important for helping promote safer driving practices on a broad scale. However, not all drivers practice safe habits and place others they may come into contact with at risk of serious injury. It is important that drivers who are injured in a car crash attributed to these and other not-so-obvious risk factors consider their available options for recovering damages from those responsible for all they have endured as a result.
The motor vehicle accident attorneys of Witherite Law Group are dedicated professionals who are available to help those who have been injured in an automobile wreck by assessing their legal options for moving forward. Individuals who have questions about getting legal help for a Dallas car crash can call 1-800-Car-Wreck® to speak with someone directly today.